Having only one grocery store in town makes for some interesting shopping. The crowded lanes and lines makes for a whole lot of grumpy on everybody’s part and a pretty hostile parking lot too. To make it less stressful as I try to wrangle my way through the crowds I like to grab a slice of something sweet from the Starbucks. Coffee would only give me jitters and a twitchy eye which would make people even more likely to ram me with their cart, Lemon bread seems to be a safe way of soothing my nerves. But as I have been trying to limit my exposure to the local battle field, I have to find a way to get my lemon fix at home.
Thankfully this Lemon Bread is what I have come to expect from my local Starbucks, in fact it’s even better. No slightly artificial taste or heavy pound cake like texture. This Lemon Bread is light with a pure tangy lemon taste.
Easy to mix up you can do it in one bowl and be done with it instead of having to mix several different ingredients separately than beating them all together. The lemon gaze has a wonderfully tangy, zippy taste that add extra flavor to the bread.
The Lemon Bread can be make into several smaller loaves or into one large 9×5 inch loaf. I prefer making smaller loafs so when I finally notice that I have eaten an entire loaf by myself I don’t feel quite as bad as when I eat a large loaf. But you can do which ever you like, I won’t judge.
Better Than Starbucks Lemon Bread
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup greek yogurt
½ canola oil
2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cupconfectioners sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray and 9×5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- To a large bowl add eggs, sugar, Greek yogurt and oil, whisk to combine.
- Add the lemon zest and lemon extract, whisk to combine.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt and stir until just combined. Do not worry if batter is slightly lumpy, they will smooth out as the bread bakes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the bread come out with a few crumbs or clean.
- Allow to cool slightly before turning out of pan.
In a small bowl add the powder sugar and lemon juice, whisking until combined.
Drizzle glaze onto the top of the bread before slicing.